Protect and Serve. But don’t cry or yell.

2019-10-06_124406

Here is an article I found among the box of newspaper and magazine articles my Mom saved in a big, silver Jacobson’s box in a front hall closet.  She never spoke about the investigation or what happened to Tim.  When she died, I took the box of articles with me.  I knew they would get thrown out.  I felt that would be a violation to my mother’s desire to keep that Pandora’s box, with all of its bad juju, tied up in a box with the rest of our old photo albums.  One of my brothers observed that she wanted us to have those articles, to know what was recorded about Tim’s case.  I can buy that.

This article, about a Michigan State Police trooper kidnapping a woman, is dated October 2, 1978, and was published in the Royal Oak newspaper, The Daily Tribune.  I didn’t do any research about the sentence, if any, Detective Sergeant Gary Schaefe received.  He had been with the state police criminal investigation section since 1968.  This is what he did in his free time.

The margin notes and the map were put together back when I felt like the time I was spending on this shit made a difference.  Observe the outrageousness of the trooper’s explanation to the woman he tied up with plastic straps and forced to the floor of her own car:  “[H]e said he was writing a book, and asked why she would allow something like a kidnapping to happen.”  Umm, maybe because you pulled a bluesteel pistol on her and said “Move over and shut up or I’ll kill you.  Don’t cry or yell or I’m going to give it to you.”????

14 Comments on “Protect and Serve. But don’t cry or yell.”

WTF?! Any preliminary search I do comes up with nothing. MDOC yields zero. Did OC erase this as well?

2. weedbegone3468 says:

Throughout my life, I’ve had encounters with LE at various times. Out of all the encounters I’ve had, there were two very creepy moments I’ll never forget that’s made me more aware of what “type” person decides to become a cop. In general, society hopes all go into LE for the better good. But as we all know all too well, there are many bad apples committing the most heinous crimes behind those badges and making evidence appear or disappear.

• weedbegone3468 says:

Side note:

I did a quick search and only came up with a
      “Gerard John Schaefer”
      He was a caught serial killer in Florida that was a sheriff after he was turned down for priesthood back in the 1970’s. Another sick story in a sea of many.

• mike06181 says:

I had the hardest time signing in to respond to this today. But i took did the same search as you did and came up with the same results. Weird that the michigan story doesn’t show up anywhere but a similar story in florida does. Same guy?

I will check on the sign in, mike. I had to do a little tweaking because I had a troll and now if you are not signed in, I have to approve your comment. I will see what I can do. Thanks for your patience!

I have also experimented with changing comment function because a lot of people comment and do not want the comment posted. Sometimes comments for public consumption end up there and I don’t catch it for a while.

• Judi Coltman says:

I saw that, too. I searched all variations of the name and every place on MDOC with nothing. I searched rapes in OC by LE and every variation and still, nothing.

• bitamoney says:

Enter the Twilight Zone: In 1989 my car was stolen when I lived in the San Fernando Valley in L.A. There was a tremendous rainstorm one day and I borrowed a friend’s car to go buy something for a party. As I was sloshing down the street I happened to look to my left and there, in a parking lot was my car, windows bashed in. I pulled in there and called the police. A cop came up and asked if I was the person with the stolen/recovered car. i said yes, he invited me out of the rain and into his car. He wanted to know if I wanted to see his gun. I said no, that’s ok. He started to pull out a long rifle and show me the workings of the different parts. At that point the knot in my stomach got bigger and tighter and I started to think about flying out the door. He then made a point of handling things in front of me so that I could see that he had an abnormality. The tip of his ring finger wasn’t on the end of his finger. It came out the side, like it was stuck on. That’s when Twilight Zone music started to play. I was EXTREMELY nice and cheerful and brother, I bolted out of that car and into the rain faster than you can say……..

3. jkaneh says:

Wow!!! I never heard about this! Never ceases to amaze me.

Jessie

A quick snappy comeback wasn’t his strong suit.

Thanks for the article, Cathy. What gets me is the lame, bland, ho hum style of the very brief article about a DANGEROUS COP.