This post is based on a memorandum prepared by my Dad. FYI, Gunnels was rearrested on July 30, 2013 in Kalamazoo for “Obstructing by Disguise.” Pretty obscure-looking statute, which apparently is most often used when a person is trying to evade law enforcement by way of a disguise:
750.217 Disguising with intent to intimidate.
Any person who in any manner disguises himself or herself with intent to obstruct the due execution of the law, or with intent to intimidate, hinder or interrupt any officer or any other person in the legal performance of his or her duty, or the exercise of his or her rights under the constitution and laws of this state, whether such intent be effected or not, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00.
History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931 ;– CL 1948, 750.217 ;– Am. 2002, Act 672, Eff. Mar. 31, 2003
Former Law: See section 19 of Ch. 156 of R.S. 1846, being CL 1857, § 5838; CL 1871, § 7671; How., § 9253; CL 1897, § 11323; CL 1915, § 14990; and CL 1929, § 16581.
An experienced criminal, JVG knows how to work the system once he is behind bars. Just like old Arch Sloan. Mouth shut, do your time, work in the prison garden, don’t know nothing, man. All they’ve got on JVG is a mtDNA match to a hair found on Kristine Mihelich. LE calls it a very, very weak match because it is mitochondrial and because it is based on degraded evidence. And, of course, the entire hair was extinguished in running this DNA test, as is apparently often the case in cold cases. There just wasn’t much there to work with. But JVG had an explanation for that hair being on Kristine nevertheless. Here’s my version of his explanation: Hey, it must have transferred from Busch’s car (which I was in many times) to Kristine when she was in the car, not because I carried her body slung over my shoulder when I helped dump her body on Bruce Lane. Thank god people kept their mouths shut and the MSP did a poor job of retaining the evidence in the most notorious unsolved serial murder case in Michigan history, right Vince/Jimmy? He’s not going to talk about anything he might know about the child murders. And he’s not going to talk about being a lure for Chris Busch and Greg Green. It’s all water under the bridge. He was born in October 1961, so he was 15, 16 in 1976 and 1977. Pretty young; probably incredibly fearful before years in the prison system hardened his heart completely. His entire adult life turned into an obstruction by disguise, like the rest of the people who knew about pedophile rings and murder and never spoke up. Anyway, here’s the memo prepared by my Dad:
FROM: Barry L. King
DATE: February 21, 2014
RE: Oakland County Child Killer (“OCCK”)
WHO IS JAMES VINCENT GUNNELS?
1. I first heard the name “James Vincent Gunnels” at the October 27, 2009 meeting with the Oakland County Task Force. None of my questions were answered at this meeting. Erica McAvoy, the sister of Kristine Mihelich, then asked about a DNA match between Gunnels and a hair found on her sister’s jacket. Paul Walton, Chief Assistant Oakland County Prosecutor, answered that it was mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited from your mother, and is not as reliable as nuclear DNA. At the time, I knew nothing specific about DNA and have only educated myself since that date. To my knowledge, this is the only DNA match between any of the victims and any identified suspect.
2. Some time later, I learned that Gunnels was the victim in the criminal cases against Christopher Busch in Midland and Montmorency Counties. During our search for the truth, my family ascertained that Gunnels was also a companion of Busch after these initial encounters.
3. Gunnels called me in the Fall of 2012 and asked if he could meet with me in Kalamazoo, Michigan. My son, Chris, and I visited with him in October 2012 at the home of his Alcoholics Anonymous sponsor in Kalamazoo. At this meeting, Gunnels read to us his handwritten notes on the two encounters with Busch in Midland and Montmorency Counties. He told us those were the only times that he had visited with Busch.
4. In July 2012, Walton delivered to attorney Lisa Milton, Chris and me the transcript of the preliminary examination in the Oakland County criminal case against Busch involving another child. The child’s mother testified her child left the house on the afternoon of the “encounter” in a Pontiac car occupied by Busch, Gregory Green, Brent Busch (a nephew of Busch and a friend of Gunnels) and Gunnels.
5. The Michigan State Police reports indicate that Gunnels told inconsistent stories about his relationship with Busch. At one point in a recorded conversation between Gunnels and his sister while he was in prison, she asked him about the hair found on Kristine. His answer: “I wasn’t there when it happened.”
6. I made a third FOIA request for the files of the Oakland County Prosecutor on Gunnels. The response contained the unredacted results of a Gunnels polygraph which read in part as follows:
Other than the control questions, Gunnels was asked three specific questions regarding the Child Killing Investigation. Due to his DNA, hair, being discovered on Kristine Mihelich, he was asked the following:
1. Did you participate in any way in the killing of Kristine Mihelich?
2. Do you know for sure who killed Kristine Mihelich?
3. Did you have any physical contact with Kristine Mihelich?
(See attached Exam report for all questions asked)
Lt. Dykstra after reviewing the three separate charts involved in the polygraph of James Vincent Gunnels, concluded that Mr. Gunnels, ‘Completely’ failed all aspects of said examination. DPD officer Dan who is a polygraph trainee of Dykstra also concurred with the findings.
7. Gunnels had a younger brother, Paul Gunnels, who was in the Busch cottage in Montmorency Co. when Gunnels was abused. As brothers, they would have the same mtDNA. It is my understanding that no statement or testimony has ever been taken from Paul Gunnels.
8. Busch passed a polygraph test and was released on a ridiculously low bond in January 1977. Gunnels failed a polygraph test on July 21, 2009. Despite a mtDNA match, a failed polygraph exam, and inconsistent oral statements, Gunnels has not testified under oath and is no longer considered a suspect or a person of interest with information. WHY?
I have some great readers including one who sent me the following interesting links.
Chief of Kiddie Porn
Yes, we do!
Hmm. Sound vaguely familiar? http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/06/spate-runaways-police-pursued-paedophile-ring
Compare: “We can’t just write it off,” said Russ Marlan, spokesman for the Michigan Corrections Department. “We don’t have the ability to say, ‘It’s been a long time. You’re free to go.’” http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/05/michigan-officer-decision-to-examine-old-files-leads-to-arrest-woman-who/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fnational+(Internal+-+US+Latest+-+Text
Some good news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26044852?shr=
European children’s aid group, described as pedophile vigilante group (hey, it works):
Especially when you consider the following:
And from the Frank Shelden Truth is Stranger than Fiction Files:
His brother’s obituary from June 2013:
http://www.grossepointenews.com/Obituary-40173.114135-Alger-Shelden-Jr.html. As this very astute reader points out, there are a couple of interesting points: 1) He clearly controlled Detroit Media during the relevant time frame (that explains the OCCK coverage blackout in Detroit); 2) It says he loved to make home movies. Gross; and 3) No mention of brother Frank.
I know I have posted portions of the Bloomfield Township PD’s report on Christopher Busch’s alleged suicide before. It just seems like it might make sense to publish the entire report (entire report given pursuant to FOIA request, that is) again. Yes, a lot will stand out. Check out that little hand-written “receipt” signed by H. Lee Busch, Chris’ dad. I’m sorry, I can’t handle the difference in treatment between people who live in high-rent districts and those who live everywhere else. I’ll say it again–Charles Nels Busch, sole living relative of Chris Busch, whether or not he was the OCCK; you should make an anonymous donation to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children for $4 million dollars. You know what he did and how many boys he did it to. The dirty money you inherited from a man who also knew what was going on and who took steps to hide it and shut down victims should in part be paid in memory of those who were victimized because your family kept their mouths shut. Keep what you earned on your own, in spite of keeping your mouth shut and allowing others to be victimized. You know you have a big cushion. Pay off what your family owes to society and to these victims in particular by making an anonymous donation. How bad could it hurt, given your circumstances? And we all know you knew or should have known. Get real. You live two blocks from Hunter Maple Pharmacy and right by Poppleton Park. YOU NEVER WENT TO THE COPS. Kept your damn mouth shut because your brother never got to your seven-year-old son. Like he did to your nephews. See what happens when you stay silent?
I’m sorry about the quality of the following images–the photocopies I have are somewhat pathetic. If something is unclear or you need more info, respond via comment but if you don’t want it posted, start out with DO NOT POST. I respond to a lot of posts from my phone, so please make it obvious if you want to remain anonymous.
These documents explain why the batch of black and white photos and the lab report on the ropes/ligatures were sent to my Dad in August 2012.
Page 1 of 2.
One year ago today I started blogging about my brother’s murder. Here’s why I did it: https://catherinebroad.wordpress.com/2013/01/
Originally I had no intention of publishing any comments to my blog, as explained in my first post. I had already spent a few years posting somewhat anonymously on various websites devoted to these serial murders, giving up all kinds of information and documents—information people later “took credit for,” credited to their own investigation, their own websites, used for their own benefit and not to advance any kind of credible investigation into anything relating to these cases, used to write articles and books. Then and now, I had no concern about how the information was used as long as it advanced the case—or at least kept the public aware about it. But there’s never a straight story. None of the facts get put out there for all to read.
I, along with others who posted on these sites, took a fair beating from those who, feeling they were smarter than all the rest of us, were right about who the killer(s) was/were. I don’t know who killed these kids. I just know there was a ton of information the cops kept to themselves; information that could have helped solve the case back in the day. Information from people who were patted on the back and sent packing—or treated far worse. This isn’t a contest, people. Your “suspect” didn’t get adequate investigation by the police—guess what?–join the fucking club. But don’t hack on others who had different ideas or information, and sure as fuck do not hack on victims’ family members. Those of you who have done so deserve whatever bad Karma you are dealt.
But soon after I started blogging, I could tell there were lots of people out there who “got it;” who weren’t egomaniacs, psychotics, who had something to add to the discussion. So I started adding comments to my posts. Unless someone asks me to communicate privately and not publish the comment, I post it. There are some exceptions. Trust me, you are better off not reading these exceptions. I posted some of the more marginal comments at first and then got feedback asking for translations. Sorry, I can’t translate. I have no idea what some of this shit means. So, I use my discretion to keep some of the commentary to myself. It doesn’t necessarily mean it isn’t useful; it just means it is kind of like speaking in tongues and I don’t feel like putting it out there. I pass a lot of it on to a detective I trust, even if it is in hieroglyphics. He can piece this stuff together. I have a more limited freak vocabulary.
I am very grateful for the vast majority of the feedback I have gotten on the blog. Very. I have had over 102,465 hits in 12 months. Not that it means much to me—that was never the point. In spite of the fact that law enforcement has tried to keep these four dead kids locked in their cold case files for almost four decades (and anyone who reads this blog knows there were more than four victims), people all over the world remember Mark Stebbins, Jill Robinson, Kristine Mihelich and Tim King. The attached photo of the all-time views of my blog gives you the picture. And for the three or four people who will message me tonight and tell me this is all bullshit and the stats are manipulated—go fuck yourselves; I am so sick of you. The big picture speaks for itself. People still think about these kids, these cases. I don’t care where these readers live—they still care.
And why do people care about cold cases, even when there is no one left to “punish” or all the fucks associated with the crime and the failed investigation are dead? God, the answer is so obvious, but if you need a little help, Google “Cold case resources for families; resolutions for families; National Institute of Justice”. And, in case you missed it in the past few weeks, the UNITED NATIONS has asked those fuckers at the Vatican why the hell they have been playing the big child abuse shell game for the past many decades. Too late to inquire? I think not. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/01/16/263060258/vatican-comes-under-u-n-scrutiny-over-priest-abuse-scandal
So, in case you are still asking why why am I blogging about my brother’s almost 40-year-old kidnapping, torture, rape and murder case, check out this article from the Oakland Press. It does a good job explaining why, and refreshingly, isn’t one of those articles that evaporates into thin air after a few weeks so that you have to pay $1.99 to read it. http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20130413/woman-blogs-about-losing-a-brother-to-the-oakland-county-child-killer.