We look upon those in charge of delivering justice with grave mistrust.

Before I move on to Volume 2 of the FOIA response from the MSP, I wanted you to understand how it came to this. This is just a rough overview with accompanying documents. Many of you have heard this background before. Bear with me as I try to demonstrate how we learned in real time that something was very wrong with this investigation and why the actions of the MSP meant we had to file a FOIA request.

In October 2006 we were all at my Dad’s house to go through the last of my Mom’s belongings after her death in 2004. While there, my Dad showed us a letter with accompanying documents he had received from retired Lieutenant Jack Kalbfleisch about the reactivation of the OCCK task force in 2005. Jack worked on the OCCK task force back in the day and was with Birmingham PD. He worked very hard on Tim’s case as well as the murders of Mark, Jill and Kristine. 2020-03-31_194111

Long story short, Jack reluctantly reached out to my Dad because his attempts to reach out to Det. Ray Anger and Sgt. Garry Gray of the rejuvenated task force were being rebuffed. These guys NEVER went back to talk to cops who actually worked in the trenches when they started up another cold case review of this case. Anger, who had also worked on the initial OCCK task force and was from Berkley PD, blew him off so Kalbfleisch contacted a Detroit News police beat reporter from with a long history with this case (Mike Martindale) to try to get someone to move on the LeMans information. Gray then was forced to respond to Jack and then the reporter. See some of the documents I read that evening in October 2006 below:


I asked my Dad if I could call Jack, and Jack agreed to speak with me and my two brothers via conference call. This letter memorializes the conversation:


This is the letter I sent my Dad subsequent to our discussions. It is heavily redacted, and unfortunately a page went missing and this was a couple of computers ago. You will still get the gist. I had redacted because I shared the letter with a detective from another agency and later a reporter and I was trying not to throw LE outside of the MSP under the bus with them.


Almost a year later (November 2007), the name of Christopher Busch surfaced after investigation of information private polygrapher Larry Wasser gave to polygrapher Patrick Coffey. Damn near a year after that, Busch’s house on Morningview Terrace was searched (October 2008). This was reported in the news. And keep in mind that our family was aware of the Busch lead because I gave the information about Wasser to Det. Williams of Livonia PD. I knew better by then to go to the MSP.

So my Dad starts calling Garry Gray with the MSP to ask for a meeting to discuss the status of the investigation. Here is an email he sent to us about setting up this meeting after a few failed attempts. None of the email addresses are good anymore, so I have left them as is.


I respond to my family.


The meeting keeps getting bounced.


The cops keep blowing my Dad off so he calls an editor at The Detroit News and reporter Marney Keenan blows the lid off of the MSP foot-dragging with an epic news story that October.

In the wake of this, the meeting takes place. The meeting where Tim and Kristine’s relatives sit in a conference room equipped with a listening device for 45 minutes waiting for the meeting. (That is from a very reliable source.)


I “love” that quote from then Captain Harold Love: “We are hoping there will come a point and time to bring this together and have everybody come together and present a conclusion to the public and to everybody else so we can put this thing to bed,” he said. You needed 6 weeks of delay to put that statement together? Eleven years later we are still waiting for bedtime.

In the meantime, reporter Marney Keenan writes this story for the News:


This is an awesome column. She gets it. “[The families] now say they look upon those in charge of delivering justice with grave distrust.”

My Dad sent this letter to Captain Love on January 4, 2010.


Of course there was no reply, no phone call. The FOIA request to the MSP followed within the week.

The cops were all pissed that we went to the media. They have never recovered from that, as far as I can tell. The MSP “doesn’t talk to families,” and the families sure as hell better not go to the press. I guess we were just supposed to eat their bullshit for the rest of our lives. Just like they tried to shut down Jack Kalbfleisch. And all kinds of witnesses who came forward over the years. They were on the verge of losing control of the narrative when Jack Kalbfleisch pushed Gray to release information about the car bumper information at the Mihelich crime scene. They ultimately lost control of the narrative when Larry Wasser spilled about Busch. Because we later learned about the information witness Doug Wilson supplied to the FBI and MSP about a LeMans seen near Tim before he was abducted and that this was also squelched, there was really only one conclusion. Our grave concerns were more than justified. To this day, the MSP continues to keep a lid on this case. Just wait and it will blow over. They know that from the 1977 playbook and I have to say, it’s been very effective.

While I was searching through these documents, I found a document someone sent me in the days leading up to the FOIA request. Not everyone forgot about these crimes and I’m sorry to say, I enjoyed reading this:


Volume 2 starts tomorrow.

6 responses to “We look upon those in charge of delivering justice with grave mistrust.”

  1. Hi Cathy, thank you again for all of this information, we appreciate you sharing this with us. I think Det Robertson and Anger were full of crap. I dont know much but, I am a car fan. There is a huge difference in the rear end of a 64 – 67 Pontiac Tempest and a 71 – 72 Pontiac Lemans. The detailed information they were able to obtain from the vehicle involved in the killings could never be obtained from the 64 – 67 Tempest. The 64/67 Tempest had Tailights that were below the trunk imbedded into the body of the car. The 71/72 Pontiac Lemans had a very unique rear bumper where the Tailights were imbedded into the bumper itself and the steel part of the bumper had unique markings that only that particular car had. I still cant believe that for everything they know about this car, the FBI or the Police dont know who owned this vehicle and to me its one of the main clues to solving this.

    • Oh, they knew Jeremy. They knew. Doug Wilson, a CAR DESIGNER, was hypnotized by the FBI for some four hours some time around mid-April 1977. He told them the following: He saw a young boy with an orange skateboard at the parking lot where the abduction took place. This was obviously Tim. Doug saw this boy talking to a young man (25-30) by the side of the building. This man was wearing a plaid shirt jacket and jeans and a baseball cap over his shoulder-length hair. There was a man in a car staring intently at Doug as he walked through the parking lot. This man was about 55-65, with totally grey hair, 20-30 pounds overweight with a very round face. Doug said this man was sitting in a 1973 PONTIAC LEMANS 2/door coupe. He remembered the license plate had the sequence “222” in it. A sketch artist was present and from Doug’s description, was able to get a pretty good likeness of each man.

      So a LeMans is involved in Jill’s, Kristine’s and Tim’s murders. Specifically a 1973 Pontiac LeMans 2/door coupe, with the damage described after the research into the bumper impressions in a snow bank where Kristine was left.

      So by mid-April they knew someone attached to this vehicle was involved. I believe that one of two things happened–they traced this car to someone who had been turned in early on and didn’t want to admit their errors and/or this avenue took them to a name or names of a person or people who were close enough to the crime and powerful enough to shut down the inquiry. For sure they destroyed records.

      Who would have known about this? Robertson, Krease, the FBI and probably Patterson and Thompson. Busch and a few other people wind up dead and Green is in prison–streets are now safe again. Fuck it. Our hands our tied.

      • And do they ever go to the public with the description of the 25-30 year old man with the plaid shirt jacket or the old fat ass in the LeMans–they had sketches for god’s sake! No they do not. Do they ask the public for help identifying someone who is driving a 1973 LeMans 2/door coupe? No they do not. And DECADES later, Gray and Robertson (son of late task force commander Robertson) keep the fucking lid on it. That the task force was steering the public to the blue Gremlin and never mentioning this LeMans (or that a fucking blue Vega with a white hockey stripe looked almost similar to the Gremlin) as early as mid-April 1977 tells you something. Robertson and Krease knew how this was going to be shut down. I don’t care what the era was–their actions are indefensible. It is possible the FBI told them “shut this down and walk away” and the state police felt they had no choice. The FBI is dirty in this case, too. Where is a whistle-blower when you need him or her?

  2. there cannot be an enormous amount of plates with 222. Since LE can’t be trusted, was anyone else, like a private investigator, brought in to research this plate? Thanks Cathy for the tons of information. I’ve been riveted to your posts even though they make my blood boil. Keep pushing!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: