Not living in Oakland County, for starters. An article in today’s NYT examined the clearance rate for murders and the common belief that chances for solving a murder start to evaporate after 48 hours. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/23/upshot/murder-crime-solving.html.
Here is just a sampling of murder cases have never been solved or cleared in Oakland County. All of these murders took place during the reign of law and order prosecutor L. Brooks Patterson:
- The July 30, 1975 disappearance and presumed murder of Jimmy Hoffa.
- The February 19, 1976 murder of 12-year-old Mark Stebbins
- The August 7, 1976 murder of 13-year-old Jane Allen
- The December 26, 1976 murder of 12-year-old Jill Robinson
- The January 21, 1977 murder of 10-year-old Kristine Mihelich
- The March 22, 1977 murder of 11-year-old Tim King
- The August 7, 1977 torture slaying of 43-year-old GM exec Carson McDowell
- The September 20, 1977 murder of 50-year-old Birmingham art dealer John McKinney
- The October 28, 1978 murder of 48-year-old Gail Webster